Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Little Dog Laughed


I had to see this show one more time before it closes, and sadly, work reasons are keeping me from tomorrow night's final performance. Still, I'm glad I was able to see it again for my fifth time. The orchestra and mezzanine were packed, something I've never seen for this show before, and the audience was loving it from the minute it started. I'm really going to miss being able to see Julie White's rip-roaringly brilliant performance. Having Zoe Lister-Jones back, even for a finite amount of time, makes me very happy; she brings such depth and humanity to her underwritten role. Too bad she isn't Tony eligible. Tom Everett Scott has gotten stronger with every return visit, and Johnny Galecki is just priceless. I'm sad to see another new American play close, but I will remember Douglas Carter Beane's terrific satire as the best modern day comedy of manners since, well, Douglas Carter Beane's As Bees in Honey Drown. Bravo and brava, company and crew!

No comments: