Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Agony and The Agony


Since Nicky Silver's new play at the Vineyard is still in development, and technically not open for reviewing, I won't say much about the show. However, with some rewrites and a stronger ending, this often riotously funny modern-day drawing room comedy could be quite a success. The actors, which included Silver himself playing a blocked playwright, are all top-notch. Musical theatre goddess Victoria Clark, as Silver's long-suffering, wannabe leading lady wife, proves herself a comedienne par excellence, and Cheyenne Jackson essays the part of her dimwitted lover to perfection. Thankfully for the audience, there's more ecstasy than agony in this show.

2 comments:

Nicky said...

I broke my rule and did a search, knowing that despite it being a lab, people would write about the show. Amazingly very few did. One man wrote at legnth about it in his blog and, wowm he hated it!! So, to be honest, I was so pleased and happy to see yours. Thank you and I'm glad you liked it.

Cameron Kelsall said...

You're quite welcome. As the modern drawing-room comedy goes, it's one of the strongest I've seen in a while.